February 8, 2010
ZERO Tolerance for Torture!
The Official Reasons and Rumors Why Shawna is Tortured And Suffers Psychological Abuse
Shawna has now been in solitary confinement for 270 days. The American Psychological Association says that solitary confinement for prolonged periods is torture. Our own military
doesn't allow solitary confinement for more than 45 days. “It’s an awful thing, solitary,” Arizona Senator John McCain said about his 5 years as a POW. “It crushes your spirit and weakens your resistance more effectively than any other form of mistreatment.”
Since Shawna's false arrest, here are the official reasons and rumors which have been given for keeping her in solitary confinement:
1. She's in danger from the other inmates in general population.
2. She allegedly passed a note from someone else describing a "hit" on another prisoner and got 2 weeks discipline.
3. The Minutemen were planning on breaking her out of jail.
4. She was allegedly organizing a jail break among the other prisoners.
5. Her picture was run on the TV frequently.
6. Sheriff Dupnik objected to criticism by this website.
Shawna gets only 30 minutes outside her cell a day, during which she is not allowed access to the outside yard, and the only reading materials made available are books about crime! As an Administrative Segregation Level 3 prisoner, she is denied access to the jail’s law library, so she cannot even manage her own case.
Is she being kept in solitary confinement in an attempt to break her, so that she will accept a plea deal? Shawna is innocent, and is resolute; she will not plead. What will it take to enforce Shawna's Constitutional and Arizona State 8th Amendment rights against "cruel and unusual punishment and excessive bail?"